calfresh @ berkeley
What is Calfresh?
CalFresh, also known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program SNAP, is an nutrition program that can help you stretch your monthly budget! CalFresh can provide eligible students with the ability to buy and eat nutritious and healthy foods like fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, whole grains and much, much more!
CalFresh benefits are pre-loaded monthly into a debit-like EBT card that can be used like a debit card. The EBT card can be used at most major chain grocery stores and Costco, as well as the Berkeley Student Food Collective and Bear Market, located in Unit 3!
Select farmers’ markets also accept CalFresh benefits! Some listed farmers’ markets participate in the Market Match, which matches the amount you spend at the farmers’ market.
Interested in CalFresh?
WHAT'S NEW WITH CALFRESH?
We would love your input on a vision for the mural that will go up in the future Basic Needs Center (a student and faculty hub for basic needs security resources) in MLK Student Union. If you want to shape the vision of what this mural will be, click the link above and submit any and all thoughts. Thank you!
“As a single father of two, CalFresh allows me to get an education and have the basic resources to provide for my children. Having CalFresh at the end of the month assures I can at least afford to cook for my children. The CalFresh clinic helped me realize I qualified for benefits as a student that I thought I was ineligible for.”
Joshua Kleinbergs, social welfare 2017
Calfresh @ Berkeley Stories
"It helped me understanding how I could feed my family without going into greater student debt. It also helped me gain acceptance of the aid offered me and made me realize that there's no shame in accepting help. I learned how to effectively communicate with my CalFresh worker and advocate for my family's needs."
Sarah Roncskevitz, Undergraduate 2018
If you would like to have the help of a certified CalFresh clinician to walk you through the application process, you can sign-up for an enrollment clinic appointment.
Certified CalFresh clinicians will be able to advocate for your case on your behalf, as well help you navigate through complex cases. They are able to contact your caseworker on your behalf.
Enrollment Session Times and Locations
- November 27: Sproul Hall, 9am-4pm
- November 28: Sproul Hall, 9am-4pm
- November 29: Transfer Student Center, 9am-4pm
- November 30: ASUC Senate Chambers, 9am-4pm
To expedite the application process, please bring a copy of all of the following documents. Bring as many of the documents as you can and the CalFresh clinicians will help you through the rest.
- Identification: Student ID, Birth Certificate, Driver License, CA ID, or U.S Passport
- Social Security Number (just the number)
- Immigration status: Permanent Resident Card (only required for non-citizens)
- Dated check stubs for the last 30 days, statement of earnings from employer.
- If you are a UC employee, statements can be found here.
- Housing: Mortgage or rent receipt, first page of your lease agreement, informal rent or lease letter
- Dorm Living or Residence Hall Living:
- Go to My Finances tab in CalCentral. Under “My Billing Summary,” click on “Details.” Search for Rent or Residence Hall Living for the term you are in. From there, click open one of the charges for that month of your application or the previous month.
- Informal rent or lease letter can be submitted, but must be dated with the amount paid and contact information for the person who wrote you the letter
- Dorm Living or Residence Hall Living:
- Utilities or Other Bills: gas, electricity, water, or telephone (1-2 recommended)
- Financial award letter showing one or all of these: Cal Grant A or B, and/or Federal Work Study. To access your offer, click here.
- Schedule of classes: showing how many units you are taking
Have questions about the documents? Contact us at email@example.com
Eligible individuals can also apply on the student-friendly CalFresh website themselves. Refer to this guide for help on applying yourself!
If you have an emergency need for food, click below to find out about Food Now.
Come talk to us in person at…
Weekly Office Hours
At Stiles Hall
- Tuesday: 5-6pm, 7-8pm
- Wednesday: 5-8pm
- Thursday: 5-8pm
At Cal Student Central line area in Sproul Hall lobby
- Tuesday: 10am-12:30pm, 1pm-4:30pm
- Wednesday: 9am-6pm
- Thursday: 10am-2pm