Welcome to

calfresh @ berkeley

What is Calfresh?

CalFresh, also known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program SNAP, is an nutrition program that can help you stretch your monthly budget! CalFresh can provide eligible students with the ability to buy and eat nutritious and healthy foods like fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, whole grains and much, much more!

CalFresh benefits are pre-loaded monthly into a debit-like EBT card that can be used like a debit card. The EBT card can be used at most major chain grocery stores and Costco, as well as the Berkeley Student Food Collective and Bear Market, located in Unit 3!

Select farmers’ markets also accept CalFresh benefits! Some listed farmers’ markets participate in the Market Match, which matches the amount you spend at the farmers’ market.

Interested in CalFresh?



“As a single father of two, CalFresh allows me to get an education and have the basic resources to provide for my children. Having CalFresh at the end of the month assures I can at least afford to cook for my children. The CalFresh clinic helped me realize I qualified for benefits as a student that I thought I was ineligible for.”

Joshua Kleinbergs, social welfare 2017


"It helped me understanding how I could feed my family without going into greater student debt. It also helped me gain acceptance of the aid offered me and made me realize that there's no shame in accepting help. I learned how to effectively communicate with my CalFresh worker and advocate for my family's needs."

Sarah Roncskevitz, Undergraduate 2018


CalFresh Recruitment and Outreach Sessions

Do you want to know if you are eligible to apply CalFresh? Do you have questions about CalFresh eligibility? If you would like to have the help of a certified Alameda County Community Food Bank CalFresh Case Manager to consult with you about whether or not you may be eligible to apply for CalFresh, you can attend a CalFresh Recruitment and Outreach session.

CalFresh Recruitment and Outreach Session Times and Location

Located outside of the Pantry on the lower level of MLK Student Union.

  • April 1-5: 9am-12pm, 1-4:30pm

CalFresh Application Sessions

Do you want support with your CalFresh application? If you would like to have the help of a certified Alameda County Community Food Bank CalFresh case manager to walk you through the application process, you can attend a CalFresh Application Session. Certified CalFresh Case Managers from the Alameda County Community Food Bank will be able to advocate for your case on your behalf, as well help you navigate through complex cases. They are able to contact your caseworker on your behalf. Food will be provided!

CalFresh Application Session Times and Location

Located in the Basic Needs Center on the lower level of MLK Student Union (unless otherwise specified below).

  • April 12: 9am-12pm, 1-4:30pm
  • April 19: 9am-12pm, 1-4:30pm
  • April 26: 9am-12pm, 1-4:30pm

Ambassador Hours:

If you would like the assistance of a CalFresh ambassador in filling out your application, drop in to the Basic Needs Center during the following hours:

  • Monday: 9am-2pm, 4pm-9pm
  • Tuesday: 4pm-8pm
  • Wednesday: 4pm-9pm
  • Thursday: 4pm-9pm

CalFresh Application & Interview Sessions

Do you want to submit your CalFresh application and be interviewed by an eligibility worker on campus in one fell swoop? Are you busy and not able to attend an off-campus or phone interview? If you would like to have the help of a certified Alameda County Community Food Bank CalFresh Case Manager to walk you through the application process and be interviewed by an Alameda County Social Services Eligibility Worker, be sure to inquire about signing up for a CalFresh Application & Interview Session.

CalFresh Application & Interview Session Times and Location

Located in the multipurpose room on the lower level of MLK Student Union.

  • April 8: 9am-12pm, 1-3:30pm

To expedite the application process, please bring a copy of all of the following documents. Bring as many of the documents as you can and the CalFresh clinicians will help you through the rest.

  • Identification: Student ID, Birth Certificate, Driver License, CA ID, or U.S Passport
  • Social Security Number (just the number)
  • Immigration status: Permanent Resident Card (only required for non-citizens)
  • Dated check stubs for the last 30 days, statement of earnings from employer.
    • If you are a UC employee, statements can be found here.
  • Housing: Mortgage or rent receipt, first page of your lease agreement, informal rent or lease letter
    • Dorm Living or Residence Hall Living:
      • Go to My Finances tab in CalCentral. Under “My Billing Summary,” click on “Details.” Search for Rent or Residence Hall Living for the term you are in. From there, click open one of the charges for that month of your application or the previous month.
      • Informal rent or lease letter can be submitted, but must be dated with the amount paid and contact information for the person who wrote you the letter
  • Utilities or Other Bills: gas, electricity, water, or telephone (1-2 recommended)
  • Financial award letter showing one or all of these: Cal Grant A or B, and/or Federal Work Study. To access your offer, click here.
  • Schedule of classes: showing how many units you are taking

Have questions about the documents? Contact us at calfreshclinic@berkeley.edu

Eligible individuals can also apply on the student-friendly CalFresh website themselves. Refer to this guide for help on applying yourself!

If you are not eligible for CalFresh, click below to find out about the Food Assistance Program.

If you have an emergency need for food, click below to find out about Food Now.

Contact US

CalFresh Ambassador Office Hours

Monday: 9am-2pm, 4pm-9pm
Tuesday: 4pm-8pm
Wednesday: 4pm-9pm
Thursday: 4pm-9pm

Basic Needs Center
Lower level of MLK Student Union
2495 Bancroft Way
Berkeley, CA 94720

Need help applying for benefits or have a case-specific question?
Want to know more about CalFresh? Want a CalFresh training or application session for your office, department, or student organization?